E&J launched LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery which is for solar energy storage.
6V /12V / 24V LiFePO4 battery packs provide a more energy-dense and energy-efficient battery chemistry over the traditional batteries.
The solar street lights are required to stay lit for more than one night if the sun is not available for a couple of days. It means that it needs a powerful backup energy to ensure that the operation of the Solar street lights.
The popularity of the Lithium battery is due to the advantages offered by other secondary (or rechargeable) batteries:
- Lighter than other rechargeable batteries for a given capacity
- Li-ion chemistry delivers a high open-circuit voltage
- Low self-discharge rate (about 1.5% per month)
- Do not suffer from battery memory effect
- Environmental benefits: rechargeable and reduced toxic landfill